The firm was founded by Harold Saunders in 1904. In 1924, D. Granville West
joined this practice to serve his articles.
By 1929, D. Granville West had set up a practice on his own account in
Newbridge. In 1943 he then took over Harold Saunders' existing practice in
Pontypool. Immediately after the War, Emrys Chivers returned to the firm
from serving in the R.A.F., as a partner. We then became known as D.
Granville West & Chivers.
Around 1950, D. Francis Dunford joined the
practice, forming D. Granville West, Chivers & Dunford. The latter left the
firm in 1962 to become a judge and in 1966, Ronald E.Y. (Ron) Morgan
returned to the practice as a partner, having trained with us in the 1950s.
The practice then gained the name by which it is known today -
Granville-West, Chivers & Morgan. The hyphen in Granville-West was added
when D. Granville West, who had been the Member of Parliament for Pontypool,
became one of the first Life Peers, Baron Granville-West of Pontypool.
The Risca Office was established in 1980, with the Abertillery Office
following in 1987. In the same year, Ron Morgan retired from the practice,
but continued to practise separately as Chivers & Morgan until his death in
Granville-West, Chivers & Morgan has taken over the practice of G.
Edward Williams & Son in Blackwood to further enhance its presence in the
Granville-West, Chivers & Morgan has a proud tradition of service to the community. We act
free of charge or at greatly reduced rates for a number of charities,
churches and other institutions.